Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Woes of Hallock

I absolutely love Hallock, which is great since I will soon be living here.  It's a great small town where everyone is personable and caring and pretty much wonderful.  That being said, Hallock is a small, small town.  We do have a grocery store, which is a bit of a luxury but the food option is not always what I've come to know and love.  With my endeavor to live sustainably, I've realized that until summer and the growth of personal gardens and farmers markets in surrounding towns that fresh, local, organic food that has not been transported for hundreds and hundreds of miles is quite difficult.  Our fresh produce is rather limited and often is not as fresh as one would hope.  All these things combined, eating sustainably is virtually impossible or at the very least I will need to be more creative during the harsh winter months.

In meeting with a local pastor this week, she informed me of an organic co-op/grocery store in Grand Forks which I'm going to check out later this week when I head into town.  This may become an option for more sustainable foods until we can get a garden going or get other local produce.  This also creates an interesting dilemma though.  In going to Grand Forks, which we do relatively regularly anyway, we are able to get local, sustainable and organic produce but we are also taking business away from the local grocery store which is important for the sustainability of the town.  It's something Frank and I will have to balance and figure out as we move forward with living sustainably.

No comments:

Post a Comment