Monday, March 12, 2012

Sustainability

No more plastic or paper bags.  No more chemicals, pesticides or antibiotics.  No more produce that has traveled half way around the world.  But plenty of tastiness!

That's right, I'm attempting to live as sustainably as possible.  Well maybe it's not sustainable living as much as it is sustainable eating.  Last week I decided on my care of creation project for my class and will attempt to spend the next 9 weeks if not longer living as sustainably as possible. 

That being said, sustainable eating is proving more difficult than I originally thought.  It's not quite spring and the farmer's markets and local food are not easy to find.  I also had just grocery shopped right before I decided on this care of creation.  So for now I'm finishing up the food I have.  Since I can't get fresh local produce yet, I'll be eating organic and only seasonal fruits and vegetables.  As far as meat goes, I'll be going to the farmer's market to see the local farmers most of which maintain sustainable practices.  Plus the meat is so much tastier than what you can buy in the store.  I'm also going to try to reduce the amount of packaging I bring home.  No more plastic or paper bags for this girl!

We'll see how this goes, but I look forward to reducing the number of antibiotics, pesticides and other chemicals that we all ingest on a regular basis.  I also look forward to supporting local farmers who care for their animals, their produce and their land.  And finally I look forward to eating all the tasty fresh picked vegetables as they come in season and the delicious fresh meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment