Monday, September 30, 2013

Creativity: What's in the Way?


This week I've been thinking a lot about creativity and maybe more importantly what gets in the way.  Creativity is something that flows forth from us humans in amazing ways.  Whether it's being struck by a new idea, trying a new recipe, dancing in our kitchens, painting or any number of other things, creativity seems to sneak in when we least expect it and sometimes it's even hard to recognize it for what it is.  For example, this morning I made chicken wild rice soup for my husband and a few friends who were out on a long bike ride.  I didn't pull out my mom's recipe because by this point it is a part of me.  That being said, the recipe only calls for onion and celery but we had a few more veggies that needed to be used up; carrots, mushrooms, turnips and potatoes so into the pot they all went and it was a huge success.  I do not say this to brag, although it was pretty awesome soup, but to illustrate how mundane creativity can seem.  A few weeks ago I would have never thought of this act of cooking as a moment of creativity.  I love to cook and often spend way too much time looking at recipes online, in magazines, on television or in cookbooks and it's how I show love to those in my life.  But today, I knew the recipe and I took a risk and it turns out that creativity found its way into my normal routine and it was delicious.

And then, I saw this:




And it was amazing and beautiful and joy-filled and it got me thinking about all that creativity is and all that gets in our way.  When I began cooking I followed the recipe to the letter, even when it was a recipe that was taught without one, and let's face it, most the best ones are.  But as I cooked more and more I began to eyeball amounts, make substitutions and completely leave the recipes out of the equation and in so doing have been opened up to creativity sneaking in.  But what was stopping this before?  Well, knowing myself as well as I do, it would be that I was afraid to get it wrong, for the recipe to not turn out right and to disappoint myself and the loved ones I was feeding.  Isn't this so often how we live our lives?  Afraid to try something or be opened up to creativity for fear of not doing it right or it being bad.   As I've begun painting, these are often the thoughts that still wander through my head and sometimes it takes a lot to push them aside, be open, trust myself and let the creative process wash over me rather than try to hold it hostage.

Now, back to the video I posted.  I was amazed at the willingness and joy of those on the street who stepped up to conduct these amazingly tallented musicians.  Some were self conscious and others let go and became a beautiful part of this creative act.  Could these musicians have conducted themselves and given a beautiful street performance?  Yes, of course they could.  But with the willingness of these bystanders to step up and dare to try something new, the music was different than it has ever been or will ever be again; taking on each of their own unique and distinct personalities and styles.  They became a part of this music and were part of creating something beautiful.  They didn't let their negative self talk and worry about doing it right stand in their way and creativity once again quietly slipped in and produced something amazing.

So my hope for myself and for any of you still with me, is that we can boldly step past the negative self talk we have been taught and have built up in our lives and allow creativity to quietly sneak in.

No comments:

Post a Comment