Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Living bi-vocationally

This is a post that I started back in November and am just now sitting down to finish.  I'll be honest, it's been a little crazy.  Anyway, here it is:

As I sit here typing from home I have Disney Pandora on and Natalie is swaying to the music "singing" along and I'm thinking about the sermon that I need to write today...hopefully she will take a good long nap so I can do that later.  Today is the day that I live in both worlds.  I am home with Natalie and have a few work things to get done.  That normally means it will take me twice or even three times as long to  get done what I would normally do when I'm on my own.  At first I worried about this, that it would cause frustration but the truth is that it's rather enjoyable because I have nothing but time for both her and my sermon.  

So maybe I should back up.  Last week was my first week back to work since Natalie was born 8 months ago.  This is an awesome amount of time for maternity leave if you can swing it but the reality is that I was awaiting my first call and last week just happened to be when I had the first opportunity to get started.  It's a part time call and it's worked out so that I'll work at the church two full days a week and Natalie will be with a wonderful stay at home mom those days and then I'll finish a few things up from home and obviously I'll have church services on Sundays where Natalie will either her come with me or Frank. 

This is the best of both worlds in a lot of ways.  I have time away to be an adult and follow where God is calling me as a pastor and I also have time at home with my wonderful little girls and get to be a part of her various milestones, play and work on getting things done around the house so that we can enjoy our time as a family without having a bunch of chores to do.

Right now, this is where I'm called and I've been blessed by the opportunity to live out both my vocations.  I am called to be both a pastor and a mother and I am so fortunate to have a husband who supported my decision to work part time as well as having found a congregation in the area who was looking for a part time pastor.

On days that I work from home, there are always challenges.  Natalie always demands my time and interrupts my thought process and sometimes having to constantly multitask is frustrating but for the most part there is plenty of time to work on that sermon or send that e-mail and the interruption is welcomed having this time to play with and snuggle my little girl is priceless.  

Although it's hard sometimes, I truly love living this bi-vocational life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment