Monday, May 13, 2013

Without a Voice

I have recently fallen prey to allergies.  On Monday I began to notice some extra stuffiness and a little tickle in my throat.  On Thursday I began to notice that my voice was a little rough.  And on Saturday I noticed that I had no voice what so ever.  Of course this happens on a week when my supervising pastor is out of town and it's my responsiblity to not only preach but lead the whole service.  So I began to brainstorm what a service might look like if I couldn't talk.  It turns out it doesn't look all that different.  I knew I could ask someone to chant and find people to read and whatnot but I did try to limit the times I'd be talking for extended times, i.e. the sermon and the prayers.  So the sermon got scrapped and I decided to let the people do the talking with Lectio Devina and I typed up the prayers on the power point and let them read them. 

It was awesome!  Or at least it was for me and I hope it was for them.

They are, of course, the frozen chosen and although they didn't share their thoughts with the larger congregation after Lectio, they did seem to be having good conversation in small groups and many told me they appreciated the exercise and had lots to think about. 

But more importantly, I had time to listen and this was the biggest gift I could have received.  Since I still didn't have much of a voice, it forced me to stop, slow down and listen to the people.  I heard the little old lady behind me sing the Kyrie with gusto but incredibly out of tune and off beat.  I heard the children excited to bring offering forward.  I heard the people of the church profess their faith and lift their prayers to God.  It was amazing!

So I encourage you all, whether with voice or without, to stop and listen to the people around you.  Hear how they sound, the inflection in their voices, their joy and excitement or sorrow and pain and take note of it.  At times I find myself more focused on what comes next in the service or worrying about my sermon that I forget to actually hear the people and their beautiful voices being lifted up to God.  Despite the struggles of the day and the scrambling to get ready, it was an amazing day full of blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment