Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Farmer's Market Season is Here!

Well it's official, the farmer's markets are once again finding their full stride as the days get longer and the sun feels warmer!   I've been attending the St. Paul farmer's market on and off all winter to pick up some tasty treats from my favorite meat guys at Bar 5 Meats as well as other fabulous products such as honey, local goat cheese and even chocolate products but the season has finally warranted weekly trips.  This weekend I was delighted when I was able to buy asparagus, spinach, radishes, rhubarb, spring onions, oyster mushrooms, bacon, eggs, chicken breasts and some fabulous black pepper linguini!  I basically got what I needed for the week's lunches and dinners.  All this food is locally grown and although some of it is not "organic" most of it is "all natural" a distinction that I'm finding is rather silly.  The lovely people at Bar 5 rolled their eyes when I asked and said, "it's all natural" meaning it's organic without the government stamp of approval.  Either way it's tasty not to mention an adventure to come up with meals as you see what kinds of amazing produce you can find!

This week I've been having spinach salads or egg salad with lots of veggies for lunch and an amazing pasta dish with that black pepper linguini, chicken, spring onions, mushrooms and asparagus.

If you've never been to a farmer's market, you should take a half an hour to check one out.  They are full of amazingly tasty food and even more amazing people who have brought it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment