Thursday, April 12, 2012

ELCA and Their "Statement" on the Environment

Caring for Creation: Vision, Hope and Justice

Oh, the ELCA has produced yet another pointless social statement that says nothing.  Maybe this is a little harsh but after reading such passionate books and articles about why we need to be protecting this world and all that is in it, as well as ways in which we can actively participate in such things, I find this statement to be verbose, lacking passion, drive or anything resembling a call to action.  This document is also almost 9 years old and is in need of some drastic revision, facts and figures to bolster their position and a way to call to attention the extent to which we truly need to be "Caring for Creation."

Although I agree with many of the points made in this statement, I feel they are lacking in a nuanced view of things like stewardship and shalom, not to mention the focus on social justice rather than ecology.  I felt that much of the statement let me, as well as the rest of the world, off the hook by talking about the hope we have in God to restore the Earth rather than a focusing on our actions and inaction to care for this planet which belongs to God.  As I neared the end of the article I found myself irritated at the use of the phrases: "We of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America answer the call," "We celebrate the vision," "As members of this church, we commit ourselves," "We challenge ourselves," and countless others.  Who the hell is this we?  It certainly is not the general population of the ELCA considering I've heard of very few responses and actions of congregations to do the things mentioned.  Until I went searching, I did not even know we had such a document and yet I'm apparently being challenged to do nothing except study, learn and tithe to reduce my waste by 10%, which although a start is not nearly enough.  Not to mention, this document, although challenging us to reduce our waste does not give us any concrete ways to go about it nor links or references to other documents that might help us move in this direction.  It is my firm opinion that people want to make a difference but don't know where to start.  And so, ELCA, if you're going to challenge people you must give examples of response, not to mention letting people know in an active way that they are being challenged in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment